Literature was important to both James and Allison. James sustained himself by reading novels through his thirty years in prison, and performing Hamlet was important to him. Allison became a literature major (and teacher), and her childhood love of Nancy Drew novels shaped her life’s mission. Also, several scenes involve the characters’ reading or discussing literature. How important—if at all—has literature been to you?
I’d say extremely important as I have an undergrad degree in English and even taught ir in high school for several years. Some of my best memories are of walking to the library to ger books, reading before I went to bed. Now that I am retired I’m making up for lost time in raising three children and working. Ir’s my greatest source of pleasure and disappointment that others can’t share in the wealth reading brings.
Literature and reading are extremely important to me. One of my teaching certifications is in teaching reading. Each day, I must read! If I don’t it feels like the oxygen has been taken out of the room. I am the only reader in my house. My husband never liked to read. Although, I am trying to instill a love of reading to my children, they don’t like to read either.
Literature has always been a priority in my life. I instilled reading in my children because it expands your mind and gives you a foundation for everything else.
Literature has always been important to me. This book brought back fond memories of my aunt (younger sister of my mother) bringing over her Nancy Drew books for me to borrow. Book Browse helps me to explore all kinds of literature and I enjoy that very much.
Reading is so important to me. I can’t remember a time when I was not reading. My Grandmother, my Mom, me, my daughter and now granddaughter were and are very avid readers. I could so appreciate James love of reading, and Allison with her Nancy Drew books! Reading opens doors for adventure, travel, facts, and knowledge otherwise not learned somewhere else.
Literature is my life, my sanity! I have been a reader my entire life. At university my mayor was literature my minor history. Then a masters in library science. I have been around books forever. My last 15 years at my library I was the book club coordinator. We had 30 different libraries throughout our region. I had over 200 bookclubs I supplied books for. I was a dream job. Reading books I can escape.
I read every night. I am always very happy when I’m reading a book that is so engaging that I can’t wait for that time of the evening. When I was a young girl and sick, my dad would always go the library and check out books for me. The Bobbsey Twins were often what he selected. I loved that he did that.
I love to read and understand being a book lover. Literature has always been very important to me. I look forward everyday to the time I have to read. Nancy Drew books began my love of reading. My grandmother bought me my first Nancy Drew book. I thank her for introducing me to my life long love of reading.
My love for books (literature or apiece of fluff) have always played an important part of my life. I so remember writing Santa with a list of books and being so happy on Christmas Eve when they arrived I often spent Christmas morning tucked in my bunk reading my new arrivals. I also found my visits to the library something I looked forward to each Saturday. To this day what better than an afternoon tucked in my favorite chair, cup of tea nearby reading my next adventure. It has continued to sustain me for over 80 years.
Literature has been a major part of my life….and Nancy Drew books were a huge part of my life, read everyone of them!
I doubt there are any BB members who don’t read daily or hourly! Retirees are often busy with life, but I have found many ways to slip in a few chapters. For example, I read when blow drying my hair; waiting in the car for my husband to dash into the dry cleaners; while my hubby gases up the car. I’m sure other members understand these quirks. BB has helped me expand my range of novels for which I am grateful. I didn’t realize I was in a mystery/thriller rut, which isn’t bad, until I accepted the challenge of opening my literary mind to “the beyond.” Thanks!
Reading has always been my window into the world from “Just William” and “Famous Five” in my childhood though Samuel Beckett, Jack Keruoac, Robert Tressel et al in my teens. A career in IT, which demanded much reading of technical tomes slowed down, but never totally eliminated literary reading. Now retired reading could be rated third in essential life needs after eating and sleeping.
Literature has been extremely important to me throughout my life - it is my way of escape and understanding of people whose viewpoints are different than mine and whose lives have followed very different paths. It’s easy to live your life in an echo chamber, but it stretches you to put yourself in someone else’s shoes - this book did that well and I really appreciated it.