What did you think of the novel’s overall structure, with one character’s story flowing into the next?

What did you think of the novel’s overall structure, with one character’s story flowing into the next?

I liked the structure. The blurb on the back calls the stories “parables” and if you think of them as learning stories, I think you make the read and book more meaningful. I learned a whole lot from reading this book.

I, too, liked the structure and the map that ping ponged across the globe. An effective visual for me. As I stated before, some connectives stories were too coincidental. Yet, perhaps coincidence plays a part in global interactions. Maybe that’s why the authors used this device.

I really enjoyed the structure of the book and like NanK, I enjoyed the map that was at the beginning of each chapter. I liked the carry over of characters from one section to another.

I liked that the authors transitioned from one character and story to the next. I found myself kind of “worrying” about Tomoko Watanabe. When the last chapter wrapped all the characters up I was relieved that she was “okay”.

1 Like

The structure made the book very readable. I also like the chapter headings it is very convenient to refer back to them after reading the chapter to keep things in perspective - and the quotes are more meaningful aftere reading the chapter

1 Like

I agree, I like being able to refer back to the chapter headings also to keep up with the time period.

I thought it was a novel way to show the flow of financial activity across continents.

The overall story was fine and I enjoyed the detailed development of character; however, the ending was so rushed with no real character development of the protagonists.

I loved the structure and the map at the beginning of each chapter showing how the characters were connected and how each story really was a butterfly effect.

I liked the structure. A good way to learn about all of these people and their lives. I especially liked Tomoko’s story.

I struggled with it at first. Then somewhere along the way I got used to it. Overall, I just found some chapters way better than others. But this may require another read by me after reading some of the comments in this thread. It appears I missed some things- like the stories being parables.

I really enjoyed the structure but at times felt I had finished a novella and longed for longer chapters. It was such a great way to tell the story.

I’ve never seen this done before. I think it gave you a taste of what was to come and made the transition to the next story more interesting.

I liked the overall structure of how the stories flowed. It made the characters’ interdependence on one another easier to follow. I find the constantly changing, back-and-forth character perspectives that some authors employ to be tedious and confusing, so I credit Woo and Shinar with savings readers that annoyance.

The structure was unique and was a good way to highlight the issues without preaching. I, like most of us, lived through this time. I bought a home in 2006 and watched it lose value almost immediately, something that had rarely happened in the past. Fortunately, I was able to wait it out, but not everyone can do that. By using stories, it made the complex easier to grasp. I do agree the ending seemed rushed and forced.