What are you reading this week? And what did you think of last week’s books? (9/24/2026)

What are you reading this week? And what did you think of last week’s books? Please share! We’d love to know.

2 Likes

FINISHED:

UP ON COVE MOUNTAIN: Adventure, Tragedy. and a Quest for Meaning on the Appalachian Trail by Earl Swift—A wealth of fascinating trail history, tradition, lore, and a crime told by one who has completed the Appalachian Trail twice. Two hikes, 33 years apart, he’s back on the trail and he’s trying to reconcile a crime and its impact on what should be a peaceful and welcoming trail community. I only wish someone had talked the author out of reading the audio. With his vocal fry and low energy presentation it was hard for me to stay engaged. It often felt like he was completely depleted of vitality. :headphone:

The Book of Chuck by LaToya Watkins—

Texas Book Festival author 2026

In a Texas family there is strong, inherited powers and multigenerational pain. Family is everything and in this family there is so much pain and a gift of sight that brings its own kind of pain. One couple moves away to a cult farm that is preparing for the end of the world while their daughters stay in the outside world and try to make their ways with unfaithful men, unbearable sadness, and the trauma of not knowing quite where they belong.

THE FLOWER BEARERS by Rachel Eliza Griffiths, beautifully read by the author. :headphone:

Texas Book Festival author 2026

On the day she married Salman Rushdie, Rachel Eliza Griffiths lost her best friend, the poet Kamilah Aisha Moon, to a death that was never fully explained. With that information kept from her the beautiful wedding ceremony continued. It was only later in the day that she learned why her chosen sister and best friend had missed her wedding. Less than a year later Griffiths faced the near loss of her beloved husband at the hands of a knife wielding radical. While this was a terribly sad period of her life the author has written a beautiful account of mental health, life, death, love, and healing. Her very personal way of speaking and poet’s love of words make this a memoir that should be read in the spirit of hope that lives on. The audio is beautifully read by the author.:headphone:

THE HOUSEWIVES UNDERGROUND: The Untold Story of the Women Who Made the JFK Assassination Our Most Enduring Mystery by Kaitlyn Tiffany—

Texas Book Festival author 2026

After Kennedy’s assassination and the production of the Warren Commission Report a group of individuals, skeptical of the conclusions in the report became a community of sleuths. They researched, visited key locations, they collaborated and they drew scrutiny for being scavengers, kooks, and just women. These housewives dedicated years of their lives and earned scorn from politicians and investigators but they were not giving up their quest to find the truth about the assassination of President Kennedy. The assassination was a pivotal event in my young life and I’ve read numerous books about it from all different perspectives. It is interesting to read about this group that had pretty much escaped my attention in the past and some of the theories they were so ardent about. It is a journey down memory lane but also a story that earned only slight exposure in the media at the time. Three women who were not willing to accept on face value what the government was saying.

NOW READING:

CATCH THE DEVIL: A True Story of Murder Deception and Injustice on the Gulf Coast by Pamela Colloff :headphone: Texas Book Festival author 2026

THE UNDERSTORY by Saneh Sangsuk, translated by Mui Poopoksakul—

THE WOUND IS WHERE THE LIGHT ENTERS by Chris Young— Texas Book Festival author 2026

1 Like

I finished My Friends by Fredrik Backman a couple of days ago and really enjoyed it. It inspired me to reach out to some old buddies and it gave me some interesting thoughts about what our time together meant. The best way to get me to love a book is to get me invested in the characters and Backman did that very well.

I started Buckeye by Patrick Ryan yesterday and put it off for a long time because the hype was too much. It is off to a great start, though.

My reading quirk is that I let BookBrowse pick my books for me from their award page (BookBrowse Top 20, Pulitzers, Booker Prize winners, Newbery, Michael L. Printz) and I plan to add the Edgars next year since mystery used to be my go-to genre.

1 Like

Still “slumping,” haha. Last week I read Music Against the Night by Yiyun Li, a book Ann Patchett said, “may well be the most perfectly constructed, moving, and beautiful novel I’ve ever read.” It was good, but I don’t feel it deserves such high praise. I’ll be interested to hear what others here think about it. Having a deep musical background certainly helped.

I also read San Quentin Exodus for the discussion here, which opens today.

And still listening to War and Peace.

Next up: Dear Missing Friend by Susan McGuirk, also for discussion. I’ve got high hopes for that one, since I’ve heard from several people who really enjoyed it. Then there’s The Long Walk by Slavomir Rawicz for our “1,000 Books to Read Before You Die” group. (And, BTW, anyone’s welcome to join us at any time. Click here for details. I can’t say I’ve loved every book we’ve chosen, but I’ve been glad I read each of them.)

I just started The Calamity Club. I am really enjoying it so far.

2 Likes

Ijust finished listening to Swan Song and The Sun Also Shines. I finished several ARCs coming out next year: Battle: The Moments That Transformed Warfare from Ancient Greece to Ukraine, Ian MacGregor and They Told Us We Were Arab, Safwan M. Masri. And I of course had finished San Quetin Exodus

Iain MacGregor

1 Like

I just finished reading Yoav Blum’s “In the blink of an eye” about a time travel murder mystery! It was REALLY good and got full of twists and jaw drops the last 50+ pages. I’m about to start “The Shampoo Effect” later tonight - hubby and I are celebrating our 20th anniversary today :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

Thanks for the recommendation, @Marijana_Bankovic! In the Blink of an Eye sounds really good.

And congrats on your anniversary! What are you doing to celebrate?

1 Like

My discussion group just did “Theo of Golden” yesterday–I merely gave it a quick skim since I read it earlier in the year–and I was in the minority who hadn’t fallen in love with it. I think it was hyped too much & I was expecting great things but found it just OK (& that’s being generous). I started “Jayber Crow” last night and think it will be more up my alley (though I wish the print was bigger!)

1 Like

Having just finished “Villa Coco,” I am at loss as to how to rate it. It took me a long time to finally get into the depth of the story. Even though its vivid Italian setting was beautifully described and easy to imagine, I did find it difficult to connect with its characters. The book follows a young American man, freshly out of college, as he becomes an assistant to an older baroness living in a crumbling Tuscan villa. He has been secured to catalogue Baroness Coco’s treasures; however, she has a trick or two up her sleeves and soon he becomes entangled in her chaotic lifestyle. The book has some amusing moments, but it seemed to me a bit slow for this reader. It really did not go anywhere until the end. An enjoyable read (?) but not noteworthy in any particular way.

I am now almost finished with “San Quentin Exodus” for BB. My BB copy never arrived but I was able to secure it electronically on Amazon at a reasonable price. All I can say now is WOW what a book. It has grabbed me and not let go. I find myself drawn to it with every extra minute I have to read another chapter or two. I look forward to interacting with others online with this deeply emotional experience !!!

I am also deeply immersed in Doris Kern Goodwin’s “An Unfinished Love Story” It has been on my TBR list for awhile and I am so glad I have to time to join this historian as she explores her hubby’s memorabilia, both physical and his recall while she shares with the reader the chaos of the 60’s, from Kennedy to Johnson.

3 Likes

Carol - I thoroughly enjoy Goodwin’s “An Unfinished Love Story”; I always enjoyed her as a historian and it was meaningful to hear more of her personal story. The audiobook was unique in that where presidential speeches were quoted, in most cases, an archival version of the speech was heard - so, it is JFK’s voice reading the excerpt of his speech, etc.

@Carol_N …I had the same reaction from reading Villa Coco. It had a high rated review and I love reading about the Tuscany region in Italy. My feelings echo your remark. I thought the book didn’t click with me because of my mindset at the time. I gave the book a 4 rating which I thought was generous rating.

1 Like

Our Noble Selves by Kate Atkinson (fiction, historical mystery, England).

Intrigue, unconventional friendships, a touch of humor (like only the British can do), and a missing person or two - what is not to like. An engaging read set against the backdrop of the Festival of Britain, a post-war event meant to elevate the mood of a country still very much in recovery mode from WWII.

1 Like

Thank you so much! We went out for lunch and later for a nice steak dinner, but we’ll celebrating in a couple of weeks when we go to Destin, Florida for a long-weekend :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

1 Like

Thanks, @Carol_N, for going the extra mile to get a copy of San Quentin Exodus. I’m sorry your copy didn’t make it, but I’m glad you’re enjoying the book.

FURIOUS VIOLET by Sarai Walker
This was an excellent book, which at times was a gripping psychological thriller with some amusing dark humor. The main character is a daughter of a legendary poet and is haunted by the mother she never knew. The fictional poet’s life parallels that of Sylvia Plath. The protagonist is stalked by a cult of women obsessed by her mother’s memory. The plot has some eye opening twists.

DEAR MISSING FRIEND by Catherine McGuick
This will be an online book discussion on October 1 so then I will share my thoughts. I am eager to hear readers’ reviews because the book has been the object of a wide range of opinions. It is an historical fiction novel with a unique epistolary format consisting of just written letters. I will note that the book did not captivate my attention until I had read 50%.

SWAN SONG, DIANA, MY SISTER by Charles Spencer
This book has caused much media attention in Britain. I have read other notable memoirs of the late Princess of Wales. I felt the book was a heart-felt tribute from the younger brother who tragically lost his sister 29 years ago.

Now I am currently reading The Long Walk by Brian Castner for our September read from 1,000 Books to read.

1 Like

Hey, @Lynne_G, so happy to read your review of Furious Violet. I impulse bought that a few weeks ago and will have to bump it up on my list.

Just so you know, The Long Walk by Brian Castner is a great book - I reviewed it several years ago - but that’s not the book we’re reading for 1,000 Books. That one is by Slavomir Rawicz.

Me too, I really liked this book, it spoke to me!

Last week I finished Dandelion Wine by Ray Bradbury for our BB Reading Challenge. It met the “TBR list forever” prompt. It wasn’t at all what I expected, but nevertheless, very good. I just started reading The Calamity Club by Kathryn Stockett for my book club meeting. It’s in 3 days so I may not have it finished in time for the meeting. Audiobook wise, I’m listening to The Long Walk by Slavomir Rawicz for our BB 1000 Books Before You Die side read. And last, but not least, I received the Brigg’s translation of War and Peace that I ordered and have started on it again.

Well that’s a bummer ….- so typical of me and my mindset this year!!
I just finished the book by Castner and I really enjoyed the book- I haven’t decided if I’m going to read the other. My mind has been in a :fog: fog.
You will love Furious Violet. I had a hard time writing that review….. be ready for an interesting read!
I will be participating in the Dear Missing Friend discussion on October 1,:heart:

1 Like