Was Patrick’s wife justified in her jealousy? How do you think Patrick and Catherine’s relationship could have differed in the 21st century? Must best friends of the opposite sex lead to misgivings/jealousy by partners?
That’s a good question, @Mary_S2.
I think if I’d been in Patrick’s wife’s shoes, I certainly would have been jealous. They shared something special and intimate, even if it wasn’t a physical relationship. I don’t think it would have been any different today, other than the moral code binding their actions would have been looser. I don’t think that it’s necessarily impossible for a man and a woman (not spouses) to be best friends, but I think it’s rare, and most spouses would likely be at least a little jealous around the edges.
No. She seemed a bit of a snob to me. And rather than getting to know someone who might have been a friend, she key class snobbery guide her.
Yes, she was justified in her jealousy because she probably sensed Patrick’s love for Catherine.
I think it would be amazing if friends of the opposite sex could be best friends. The husband and wife would have to have a strong trustful relationship. I have known friends that were in that situation but they later got divorced. There is always a fine line when emotions take over and the line is broken.
Yes, I think she was justified in her jealousy of Patrick and Catherine’s relationship. They shared intimate details of their feelings and lives with one another in their letters. They had a special closeness, even though it was not sexual. I know I would be jealous if my husband were to have frequent calls to, or meetings with another woman who was “just a close friend.” it could easily lead to mistrust.
Yes, Patricks wife was justified in her jealously. Catherine and Patrick shared a intimate, non-physical relationship. Moreover, Catherine was Patrick’s first and second choice for a wife. Clearly, Patrick never stopped caring deeply for Catherine.