To what audience would you recommend Days of Sun and Shadow? Is there another book or author you feel has a similar theme or style?
I thought a bit of Paulette Jiles, News of the World, as I read this book. That’s the only novel of hers I have read, but she does historic fiction with strong female characters.
Also, readers of Rhys Bowen who like characters you can get behind, and vivid environments will like Days of Sun and Shadow. One of my favorites of hers is The Venice Sketchbook, which gives a unique look at both the history of Venice and WWII, as well as a good mystery.
Maybe The Girls in the Stilt House.
I would recommend this book to anyone who enjoys a strong female protagonist and/or enjoys historic fiction. I think the book would be mostly enjoyed by adults but some more mature YA readers might also enjoy.
I can’t say I know of any other author with a similar style or theme though I probably do and just can’t think of one right now.
I would recommend this book to anyone who loves a strong female character who can overcome insurmountable difficulties and would enjoy the westward expansion time period as a background. I have read a lot of Sandra Dallas novels on the west and this is similar. I agree with News of the World being similar and for strong female protagonists, Susan Meissner and Fiona Davis.
Like other respondents, I’d recommend this titile to women who like historical fiction. Little has been written about this particular period and location so it was especially interesting to me.
Connie_K, I really enjoyed the Venice Sketchbook because of all the art that was in the story. I never knew how Venice differed from other parts of Italy.
Marion_Mueller, I agree this would be enjoyed by readers of historical fiction. It was the time period and the location that really made this book for me. It made me realize how many of the American historical fiction stories are in the Eastern part of the US, especially big cities. It was nice to expand that focus.
I recommend this book to any reader who enjoys historical fiction and strong female protagonists. Emelie is an interesting heroine who grows and develops emotionally throughout the book.
Readers who like Paulette Jiles’s books would like this book.
I have already recommended this book to several people and some book clubs to add to their upcoming lists of books to read. Anyone that likes historical fiction and strong Female characters’ will enjoy this book.
I would recommend this book to others who like a strong female that encounters many obstacles. I loved the descriptions of the land and towns during this period of history and learned quite a lot.
I would recommend Giver of Stars by Jojo Moyes and Daughters of Shandong by Eve Chung. Like Days of Sun and Shadow, the authors seamlessly weave historical events into their stories.
Lynne_Zolli, Those were great comparisons, I loved both those books.
This would make a great book club selection. I feel that there are strong characters and an interesting setting that made me appreciate that part of the US.
But yikes, for me the cover was not a favorite. In person and up close it has a depth of color and design but from a distance, I would walk past it. I hope they re-think the cover for future printings, as covers are so important in having a book noticed and this book deserves to be noticed and read.
I have already recommended to three friends who enjoy historical fiction, especially of the American frontier. I agree with @Dee_Driscole that the cover is awful! This is a great book, but the cover will certainly not draw anyone to it. It especially reminded me of the Sarah Agnes Prine series by Nancy E. Turner (These Is My Words and Sarah’s Quilt), but is overall a better book.