Soon after Michael and Cath are married, he heads off to California for the gold rush. Cath accuses him of breaching their vows, while Michael feels it’s necessary if he’s to earn any money. Do you agree with her that he’s not living up to his promises by leaving? Do you think his departure was necessary?
I think Michael vowed to not go to sea and be a whaler so I didn’t see him wanting to go to California as breaking anything. He was very unhappy being a landlubber so I think this was a way for him to earn money.
I think he had big dreams and the lure of the possibility of making a lot of money was very strong. But, I also wonder if he was afraid of being a disappointment as a husband. I think he knew how much Cath didn’t want him to go, and yet he chose to go anyway. I don’t think leaving was necessary, he left because he wanted to go and I think this was unfair to Cath.
Well unfortunately Michael got caught in the gold fever as did so many men of that time. He could have tried to stay true to his promise but I think his unhappiness would have destroyed his marriage.
I do feel he did break their vow, but I also feel that she was very sheltered in understanding what a man like Michael was like. Also, he had few skills to make a living, which left him very few choices. I’m not sure if his departure was necessary, but for him personally, I think it was his only choice.
I felt Catherine realized Michael was unhappy being a landlubber and his actions showed her he would never be a reliable husband.
I think he did break his promise but I think him leaving was necessary. He probably didnt understand how difficult it would be to find work, or work he enjoyed. Im.guessing a man who was at sea Will always be pursuing some kind of adventure.
I believe Michael had wander lust and despite his promise, it was inevitable that Michael would seek adventure and quick, unrealistic riches