Some have argued that a White author shouldn't write a point-of-view Black character, or similarly, authors shouldn't create characters outside their demographic. What's your opinion on this, both in general and regarding this novel in particular?

In recent years, some have argued that a White author should not write a point-of-view Black character, or similarly, authors should not create characters outside their demographic. What is your opinion on that issue, both in general and with regard to this novel in particular?

Here I think of Percival Evertt’s book, Erasure, where in his satiric novel he writes about how the publishing industry pigeonholes Black writers. So, if a black novelist can see that, I think the argument that one came only write from his/her/their demographic point of view is specious. Smoots writes from the point of view of being a human being which underneath our skin color is pretty much the same. I remember at a book signing event for a black female writer saying to her somethng like “while I might not be a black female or have had the same experiences as you, I could relate to your book as a woman because we all feel the same way about many of the thing you wrote in your book” to which she replied “See you get it, you understand that I’m writing for all women.” Smoot wrote about what humans feel not what s race or gender feels.

1 Like

I don’t know who the ‘some’ are, but I don’t agree. What makes a book interesting is the ability to make the reader believe in all characters. Authors are writing fiction not non-fiction so stories can be whatever race the writer chooses. In this story, James is a wonderful character with strong emotions and feelings. Good job Mr. Smoot!

I think this author did excellent. I enjoyed this book and never thought about a white man writing about a black man!

This is a tough question. I remember this controversy surrounding American Dirt. The publishing industry does need to increase books published by writers of color. On the other hand, writing is a creative process. Authors use their imaginations and conduct research. I enjoyed this book very much.

Unless it’s glaringly racist I don’t think about “ cultural appropriation “. I think that’s censorship and I won’t accept that. Now, I admit that my first thought when I requested this book was “ what does a middle class Caucasian know about the Black experience in East Oakland, or in the California penal system? I requested this book because I was curious. Being a Caucasian, old, man who actually worked on those streets for almost two decades I wanted to see how the author approached the subject. To my pleasant surprise, I thought he did very well

How racist to think a person of another race or demographic can’t write about the feelings of another person. We are all people that bleed red and what the same things in life. Happiness, good health, family acceptance are everyones desire. Smoot’s characters were special because of being black, white and gay. I thought Mr. Smoot handled these issues perfectly!

Well said! I agree with you completely.

Yes, definitely agree. Mr. Smoot did an exceptional job of engaging the reader with superb character development. I feel an author can weave a story depending on their life story and the relationships that they have experienced. Unfortunately, some seem to put authors in boxes and think they should “stay in their lane” and write how they look rather than how they “feel”.

did wonder about that myself. I did find the character believable though. In fact, I found all the characters believable.

I do not think it makes any difference. I believe if the author introduces a character, he is familiar with its composition or does research to ensure it comes across authentically. Authors also have editors who provide good guidance in that area.

Bravo Candace. Your reply is so true. We are all human beings, white, brown, red or yellow. We want the same things in life. Smoot was writing about a Black man and a White woman, so what , it was his story to tell, He was the tutor at the prison, he was white, not black. He dealt with the issues and gave the reader an experience not to be easily forgotten.

1 Like

Smoot’s background speaks volumes for this book. PhD in Philosophy with experience in teaching college classes in a prison leans toward being a very informed writer of this specific story.

1 Like