Prisons are often depicted in movies and novels with savagely violent inmates, abusive guards, and corrupt prison officials. The two prisons depicted in this novel are much less dysfunctional. Do you feel this book painted a more truthful depiction?

When we see contemporary prisons depicted in both movies and novels, often they are rife with savagely violent inmates, abusive guards, and corrupt prison officials. By contrast, the two prisons depicted in this novel are much less dysfunctional. Do you feel that this book was painting a more truthful depiction of prison?

I made a reference in another question to a book I had read about American Prisons, that book entitled American Prisons by Shane Bauer gives a horrific view into our private prison system. Then there are all the stories about Angola Farm in Alabama (and in Ray Hinton’s book he mentions a time Geraldo Rivera stayed a night on death row but when served food a tray was put over it to keep the dust and bugs out). So I think James’s prisons might not be the norms (and certainly not what ICE prisoners face - listen to Mahmood Kahlil’s No Land to Stand On: Notes from Detention)

I was totally impressed with the programs offered the inmates. I don’t know if that was fiction but that could definitely help rehabilitate a person.

I have no idea, but I found myself really hoping that this was a truthful depiction of prison. It was still a sad enough life. I give credit to the author for interesting me in this view of prison.

I would like to think so, however, having read several other accounts of prison life throughout the states, it may not be. I know that the two prisons in this book were accurately depicted. I have read articles on the program provided at San Quentin that will verify his descriptions. Not all states are equal when it comes to the private prison systems. I refer to the “Alligator Facility” in Florida as one example. Yes, these convicts have committed horrible crimes in some cases, some only minor ones, but they are human beings. And all human beings have rights, they are entitled to clean water, fresh food and proper shelters.

The author might have depicted the two prisons realistically, but as others have said, there are other facilities that are violent, etc. Aren’t some now run by private companies? It seems I’ve read this or heard in the news. Bottom line is about making a profit, and the prisoners suffer.

There are different levels of intensity ranging from maximum security such as the one in Colorado to the dorm-like atmosphere for women in Texas. Nonetheless, confinement for crimes is part of society here as well as most countries.

The scenarios of the two prisons probably revealed a considerably less violent aspect of real prison life but at the same time fitting the narative of the novel. I have only indirect experience of prison life but do know some inmates take steps to avoid violent confrontations. James was depicted as one such character which works for the story line.