Overall, what did you think of Dear Missing Friend? (No spoilers in this topic, please!)
I enjoyed. It usually don’t like epistolary books but this one somehow hit me well. I kept reading.
I enjoyed it but found it very depressing.
I did like the book and gave it 4 stars. But, as mentioned by others, I found it to be a depressing read.
It took me a while to get into the depth of the story. I am also not a fan of epistolary books and once I realized the book was written entirely through letters, I had my doubts. However the letters were written so beautifully and descriptive, I became more engrossed in the lives of the characters.
The poems before each chapter were written by Walt Whitman and gave the novel more depth and helped describe the time period. I have always enjoyed reading Whitmanʼs poems in the book LEAVES 0F GRASS.
@Janine_S I just wanted to tell you that you wrote an extremely excellent Reader review of this book.
I was very impressed. It is difficult for me to write book reviews so I envy your talent.
Thank you, Lynne. That means a lot. Don’t sell yourself short. If you write the heart it’s there. Again my thanks. It made my day.
It was really just ok for me. The characters were well developed. The writing was good. Its mostly that I dont typically like the letter format.
I enjoyed the book - it is factually based immigrants experience with pain, tragedy, poverty, and illness with limited medical care. it read almost like a text book of the challenges faced by immigrants
I enjoyed Dear Missing Friend because I wanted to learn more about the immigrant experience in that time period. The letters did propel the storyline but I think that format probably cannot allow for deep character development.
I really enjoyed the book – it was exceptional in how it gives the reader an insight into the thoughts and deeds of the characters. The book held my interest, and I found that I did not want to stop reading.