As a retired history teacher, I’m always looking for a well-written and serious historical novel. Aside from Alison Weir, whose books I adore, what author would you recommend?
Hi @Emily_C! Welcome.
Gosh, our website is full of top-notch historical fiction, and since reading preferences are so individual, I’m hesitant to point you in a specific direction without knowing more about your reading tastes.
Your best bet would probably be to explore our main site, using the filter to drill down to what looks appealing. Start here.
Happy reading!
Emily_C, Historical fiction has so many different types that this is tough question. However, two tricks I use is I look at the blurbs of the author’s books I like. Look at these blurbs to see the names of the authors that recommend Weir’s books. If an author likes and recommends Weir’s work, their work will be similar. I have discovered a lot of new authors this way.
Next, an indie bookseller or librarian can be helpful. Ask what customers buy that buy Weir. This is not as certain because it depends on the individual, I have better luck with one particular bookseller in my area.
Lastly, for me I would consider Phillippa Gregory who seems a good match for Weir.
Good luck in your search and let us know how it works out.
Libraries also have access to programs that give read-alike suggestions. I thought there was a read-alike search here at Book Browse also. Maybe @kim.kovacs can point to it because I didn’t find it with a quick scan.
Thank you for your great suggestion.
Good point, @Anne_Glasgow! Yes, we have a Read-Alike feature here. That should give you some ideas as well.
What period(s) and location(s) are you interested in?
Any and all, but I particularly enjoy books about Tudor England.
@Emily_C Have you tried Hilary Mantel’s Wolf Hall trilogy? I haven’t read yet, but have been told that it’s superb.
Yes. Her books are thoroughly researched and excellently written. Thank you for reminding me.
Ruta Supetys books are well written and researched and probably in a young adult format since the protagonists are usually young adults.
Hi Emily,
I recently read “The keeper of lost children” by Sadeqa Johnson and really loved it. It is based on true events from WW2 but I just loved the take of showing the lives and impacts the wives of black military men stationed in Germany had that are not talked about enough.
“Happy Land” by Dolen Perskins-Valdez was also a really good historical novel.
“The frozen river” by Ariel Lawhon of course is a must as is “The women” by Kristin Hannah.
My all time favorite book, that’s also a historical fiction is by Barbara Davis “The keeper of Happy Endings”. Just a beautiful story!
Hope this helps ![]()
Thank you for your informative response. I appreciate it.
There are many amazing non-fiction novels that read like fiction that you might enjoy. A few of my go to authors are Liza Mundy, Barbara Demick, Loren Grush, Lynne Olson, and David Grann.
I love historical fiction too. These suggestions are not exactly the Tudor period but are in England and Europe a couple hundred years ago:
-The Anchoress by Robyn Cadwallader
-The Mercies by Kiran Millwood Hargrave
-The Good Wife of Bath by Karen Brooks
-The Golden Tulip by Rosalind Laker
-Canticle by Janet Rich Edwards* I haven’t actually read this yet but I went to an author reading and it seems like she put a lot of research into the book.