Libraries: Tell us about your favorite. When’s the last time you went? Do you use your local library for anything other than book checkout?
My favorite library was my local library in Appleton, Wisconsin. I could walk to it so since I could there wasn’t a week that I wasn’t there.
I use the Pinellas county library system to order books and the service is great. I have two branches that are equidistant but one is much easier to access so that is the one I frequent most. The library also exhibits local artists works to enjoy and is a voting ballot collection spot, both services I use. I also like that permanent local history displays are prominent throughout.
My favorite is the Pittsburg, KS, Public Library. It is one of the very few Carnegie libraries without his name on the outside of the building because this was a mining town in 1910 when the library was built & the Library Board wanted to appease the miners. It’s also one of the few Prairie Style Carnegie buildings. Besides using it as I grew up, I worked there for over 30 years before retiring two years ago so yes, I’m very biased! I was there last Friday to pick up a book I had on hold, returned on Tuesday to attend the director’s retirement reception, & was there again this morning for Chair Yoga. It feels a little strange when I go in now but a good chunk of my life was spent in that beautiful building so I continue to use & support it. Plus, it’s a lot cheaper than buying all the books I want to read.
When I was in early elementary grades (mid 50ʼs) I lived in walking distance to the local Carnegie library. I particularly loved the little orange covered books that were biographical stories of the childhood of many famous Americans. Inside the books were silhouetted black portraits and drawings of events in the subject’s life. I would check out as many as possible and spend hours reading about Abigail Adam’s, Dolly Madison, Clara Barton and many others. Those books gave me many happy memories.
I just googled information about the books. They were published from the 1930’s to the 1960’s by the Bobbs-Merrill Company. There were 200 books in the series.
This summer I set foot in my local library for the first time in three years to participate in the summer reading program. I use my county library regularly through their library at home program. This is a great program that many libraries have for homebound patrons. They mail me the books I request and is very convenient.
The little orange books were my favorites, too! My small town library was based in an old one room schoolhouse that had been moved to town. It was tiny, but it opened up the whole world for me.
I am fortunate to have two libraries within 3 miles of my home, one for the city and the other a county site. Since the city one is a branch, it offers less in way of programs. However, the county provides many activities to interest its patrons. Ever since early childhood, I have found such an affinity for libraries. I looked forward to visiting weekly while my mother and my grandma were doing their weekly shopping. I often take the time f or me and gather a stack of books and sit quietly and devour them. I especially enjoy doing it when its raining or stormy outside and I’m dry, warm, and awaiting a new book or two.
I have library cards to four different libraries and each is “favorite” in its special way.
I’m 74 years old and still have a card to the library I grew up in and still check items out occasionally. It’s 60 miles from my home and my sister is on its board so it’s not a big stretch to visit it.
Holding a card and being a member and treasurer of the friends of the library group of the nearest large town library has opened my eyes to what libraries are currently going through. The disdain and lack of support that the ultra-conservative city commission has shown to the library is contemptible.
Contrasting that is the third library I hold a card to in another nearby small town. It is well loved and supported by its community probably because its director and staff are so welcoming, know their patrons likes and dislikes, but also make suggestions to expand their horizons. They put on frequent programs for all ages which I’ve participated in numerous times.
My last card is with a library about 35 miles from my home which has absolutely the best book discussion group ever. The group meets regularly and they are thoughtful, engaged, and fun. I feel fortunate to have been welcomed by them. I may live in what is considered a remote area, but I feel rich in literary resources.