How has James changed by the end of the book? How has Allison changed?
I wonder if either had changed all that much. Both were characters had empathy and goodness in their hearts. However, Allison’s bravery and brazenness in helping James escape was out of character for the rule follower that she was as was James in attempting to do the same. But what drove this was the awful injustice of the parole panel.
I think James remained true to his character through out his ordeal. He always had a compassionate heart. He never meant to be cruel or devious. He got the outcome he deserved.
I think they both stayed true to their being. I believe James was more aware, however, of his freedom, the nature around him and his ability to enjoy the life he deserved.
They both stayed true to themselves. It’s likely that their joint experience would be a pivotal moment in their lives; one that shaped their futures.
I think my favorite part about the book was the way James changed after he escaped. He was always good about accepting responsibility - “Yes, I did kill that dude” - but it took a very long time for him to forgive Black Snake and to realize the magnitude of his crime. “Hurt people hurt people.”