How do you share your reading experience with others? Where and with whom do you discuss books? Do you ever read aloud with anyone?

How do you share your reading experience with others? Where and with whom do you discuss books? Do you ever read aloud with anyone?

Since I moved out of state from my former book club, I still exchange thoughts and recommendations with a few closer members. I often tell my husband about the book I’m reading even if it’s just one episode that he might find of interest. He did ask me to read a chapter aloud from his book. :wink:

I post here and on Instagram. Enjoy conversations with my irl bookclub and a few book loving friends. There are very few books I talk about with my husband but occasionally I’ll recommend one to him and then sometimes we have a limited discussion about it. I do throw very specific facts from books into discussions we might be having on a related topic—I actually tend to do that with pretty much everyone I know. :joy:

I enjoy the discussions with my Book Clubs. More so the small one rather than the larger one at the local library. I find the discussion far more interesting with my small group than the library group who has some several members who like to hear themselves talk. I have two friends that I share good books with online. Both avid readers, exploring all genres. At last I share with my two daughters who are also readers especially when I have read a book I know they would really find interesting. As for reading aloud, I don’t really do it anymore. When I was working as a media specialist at an elementary school, I did so regularly. And I must admit I truly miss it. I especially enjoyed the primary children and the excitement of sharing a picture book with them. Since Halloween is drawing near I so fondly remember the fun of reading “Marshmallow Ghosts” and finishing it off with my little K ghosts making one of their own.

Members of my discussion group (private but open to inviting others to join us) are all avid readers & each month we recommend books to each other. Since this is a smaller town (think the technical term is micropolitan), many people are aware that I used to work at the library & will usually greet me with “oh, I just read a good book” and I’m happy to stop & chat with them about titles.

I love hearing about people who share books with children, particularly as they get a little older. I was speaking to someone recently who shared books with their adult son! That sounds really special.

I find that I don’t really share my reading experience often. I’m not a member of any book clubs outside of BookBrowse, and I don’t have any relatives that I talk books with. My husband doesn’t usually read the some ones I do (although I just got him reading Reset and he loves it so far).

I knew an elderly couple who used to take turns reading books to each other in bed each night. I thought that was a pretty sweet idea, too.