Given the stereotype of Arkansas being backward and redneck, were you surprised to learn that many well-educated, cultured people settled in the state?

Given the stereotype of Arkansas being backward and redneck, were you surprised to learn that many well-educated, cultured people settled in the state?

I wasn’t surprised because I never thought much about it. This book shows us there were lawyers, horse breeders, merchants, craftspeople and so much more. The river and railway was good for commerce giving these “backwater” people access to many products.

No, I was not surprised, because in every area of our country, there are pockets of people who are driven to attain wealth and social status, thereby establishing hierarchies of power and dominance.

I don’t think I was surprised, but it certainly challenged common stereotypes. It highlights a side of early Arkansas history that isn’t often portrayed. It reminded me that early settlers came from many places and brought education, skills, and traditions with them.

Oh wow! I’ve lived in Arkansas for nearly 30 years, so I think I’m a tad biased. I think a lot of the stereotypes came from media portrayals of the one-toothed, cousin-marrying, hooch-totin’, backwoods country folk. I don’t think the westward expansion was any different for Arkansas than for any other state. You are going to get a mix of learned and unlearned people in every location. For whatever reason, the redneck imagery took hold and prevailed. I was pleased to have intelligent characters in the novel and never once thought there should have been more backwoods ignorance.

2 Likes

Just shows that stereotypes don’t have much merit. The new nation in the early 1800s had so many activities of such varied nature. One of the wonderful aspects of the novel was the author’s presentation of the wide range of settlers.

Donna- I agree with you about how the author presented what life was like at that time. I also had to look at a map to make sure where Alabama and Arkansas were! Also, haven’t read much about those states when it came to commerce and slavery, as well as plantations.

Every state and geological area had stereotypes. Unfortunately, for those without an open mind and no real knowledge, these stereotypes often continue on. As transportation advanced and more people could traverse to these areas— the merchants, lawyers, educators, etc. moved into every area to provide the professional services needed.

Like Cheryl I never did think about it. Of course there are intelligent cultured people everywhere. But living in the Pacific Northwest we do kind of think we are special! Kidding!!

People from all social classes must have been tempted by the bounty land warrants issued for military service.

I was not surprised. The bounty land warrants attracted the rich and poor, providing land and opportunities to start over or to increase wealth and standing in a new location. All communities have some portion of their population that has the money and/or education to thrive in a small community.

Not at all. It took people with drive and an entrepreneurial spirit to see the opportunity available.

Yes, I was surprised and interested to learn more about the many well-educated, cultured people who settled in Arkansas. It was also interesting to learn more about the rising tension between pro-slavery and anti-slavery groups in the territory (later the state).

I wasn’t surprised, as i think every state has a rich history of various people. But I was excited to read a book taking place in Arkansas, I don’t think I ever had.

While I was not surprised at all to learn that many of Arkansas’ settlers were welI educated, I totally agree with @Susan_S that the media, going clear back to the 1800s, has contributed to the idea that Arkansas is backward and redneck. I recall reading a book (written in the early 1900s) and seeing a movie entitled Shepherd of the Hills on black and white television when I was a kid that reinforced the ignorant hillbilly generalization. That generalization is so unfair, but I think we generalize when we don’t take the time to learn. Through reading, I’ve learned that the majority of people who settled in the Appalachians and were labeled as hillbillies were of Scotch Irish descent from Scotland and who came from a hardscrabble existence that was made even harder by their subjugation under the British crown. Thus, they brought that distrust for government and the outside world with them to America and protected themselves by living in isolation. I’ve wondered if this could also be true for those who settled in the Ozarks.

1 Like