Did you ultimately find this novel uplifting or depressing ? Why?
The first half was certainly depressing but the end was definitely uplifting. I was glad James was able finally lived the life he deserved
Overall, this is a beautiful book of hope while the underlying stories of James and Allison are filled with underlying sadness. But even though both were in worlds where acceptance was difficult, I think they were still able to find things that gave them hope and meaning - Spike for James; Meghan for Allison.
This story was an emotional roller coaster for me. James relationship with his Mother (up). Moving to Oakland (down). James’s meeting Black Snake (down). James getting Spike (up). Spike being shot (down). James going to prison (down). James’s meeting Lonny (up). James’s meeting Allison (up). Get my drift? In the end, I was so happy for James to escape and get on with a normal life.
Allison becoming friends with James and realizing his potential was very uplifting. Her plan to help him escape was amazing. She had every detail figured out. I am sorry James had to spend do much if his life in prison but glad for the happy ending.
I thought it would be depressing but it was overall uplifting.
Ultimately, I found the novel uplifting, but there are and were many aspects that were depressing. James’ life being disrupted after his dad’s death and the community that he found himself in. In reality, it is depressing that there are communities in our country in which so many people find it difficult to find a way out or to improve their communities. Why would we want to have places where people feel hopelessness in the United States. It is also depressing that our prison system has not become a place of rehabilitation. I’m also reminded that laws to provide equality and eliminate discrimination have been threatened. The uplifting part is that there are individuals, like Allison, who still try to make a difference.
I agree with Patricia Williams. It was a depressing story but so realistic and the good hearts of James and his mother made it uplifting and unforgetable.
The first part of the book was so sad. I was afraid it was going to end depressingly. I was pleasantly surprised when it ended on a happy note.
I found it to be a mix, just as life can be. I was really glad to see it end in an uplifting way.
Thank you for putting it so simply but so true. This book leaves readers feeling very grateful for the little things in our lives. It’s crazy world we live in and hopefully this book will leave its reader a bit more grateful for what we have.
This book was both. Depressing to see the conditions in Oakland that perpetuate crime in young boys and uplifting to watch the progress of criminals as they go through rehabilitation.
While there were difficult times for both, especially James, both he and Allison demonstrated patience, determination and hope. Uplifting!
I found the novel uplifting in the end. It’s beautifully written, even when telling the sometimes dismal stories of Allison and James. To have Allison successfully help James in order to stand up for what she believes is right and for James to gain his freedom with a determination to show his gratitude every day in acts of kindness left me with a warm, hopeful feeling.
Hope was always present even with so many ups & downs for James. I found it to be a memorable, well written read which ended on a positive note. Great book club book.
Overall, I found this novel uplifting even though there were so many depressing moments. It gave a sense of real hope for the main characters, especially James, when all hope seemed to dwindle and be out of reach.
I had thought that the story was going to be depressing, especially the prison aspect, but except for a couple of instances, I found it uplifting.
I wouldn’t necessarily call it uplifting or depressing. I left the book with the same feelings that I had after finishing The Wound is Where the Light Enters, a memoir by Chris Young. While I appreciated the happy ending - I’m glad James (and in the memoir, Chris) left prison and built a new life, but all I can think about is how many other intelligent, caring adults are stuck behind bars without hope of ever getting out. Both James & Chris got very lucky - they came to the attention of a person who went out of their way to help them. What about the thousands of men (and women!) who don’t have an advocate?
I felt that it was both uplifting and depressing, and that is unusual in a book. It seemed that the cards were definitely stacked against Jim and his sentence was harsh and gave no grace for the fact that his dog was killed prior to his own actions. But it was uplifting because there were characters throughout the book who were exceptionally kind and generous.