Did you learn anything new from Dear Missing Friend? What surprised you? Are there any scenes that stood out?
Nothing really stands out though having read The Rush before I read this book, I was intrigued by the impact on the community when the men left for it. What does come across was how the women had to carry the burden in their absence.
I dont think I learned anything and nothing that happened was surprising. Unfortunately I think the book world right now is over saturated with the tragedy of the Irish. There are some very good books but so much of what is presented is the same thing over and over
I don’t think I learned anything new, other than more knowledge and insight about the prejudice towards the Irish immigrants and women had such little self-worth.
Agreed; I had never spent any time thinking how the gold rush affected those the men left behind. An eye opener.
Absolutely, the author did an amazing job of explaining the challenges of ordinary American immigrants to support themselves and in particular the work challenges for immigrant women.