Did Allison's journey toward coming out as a lesbian make her more likely to perform the extraordinary act of helping James?

Did Allison’s journey toward coming out as a lesbian make her more likely to perform the extraordinary act of helping James?

No, but I think it made her more empathic. I think Allison would have helped James if she were cis because as Smoots wrote her character, he gave her such an inquisitive spirit and she was naturally a good person. I do, however, think her journey to openness gave her a greater sense of injustice this world seems to like.

1 Like

I don’t think her status as a lesbian had anything to do with her decision. She was a “Nancy Drew” character through and through.

1 Like

Not at all, Allison was generally a good person. She did what she thought was right regardless.

1 Like

Being a lesbian had nothing to do with her plan!

1 Like

I agree with Janine. I do think that she was perhaps more aware and concerned for people who are mistreated or bullied because of being different, growing up in a low-income area, and having no access to legal help or other resources.

Allison was a empathetic person and regardless of her sexual preference she would have been the way she was.

I think when she finally came out as lesbian, it made her more courageous, but I feel like she would’ve helped him regardless.

As I stated in another post, I believe they both struggled with their circumstances, although very different. Her being lesbian was what she had to understand herself and to overcome needing acceptance. In a sense it set her free. She found her true calling, in order to meet James, and ultimately set him free.

1 Like

No I do not think so. She was a very kind consider person, she cared deeply about others. Whether she is a lesbian or not did not make it so. She was driven to help others, perhaps by her love for Nancy Drew mystery stories, perhaps not. And that drive was what helped James not the fact that she preferred woman to men, sexually.

I wondered about this before reading the question. Would Allison have helped James if she was straight? Meagan understood as both women had to struggle with acceptance and confidence. Might a man have tried to convince Allison that her initial idea to help James was inappropriate, “out of the question”, dangerous for both of them and their futures? I’m undecided. Then again, the author could have created a male companion/mate who was also sensitive to injustices and who would have supported Allison. Unless he read Nancy Drew, he might not have understood the impact of this childhood influence.

No I don’t think so, but I think it made her more acutely aware of societal’s injustices and brought out her compassion for those that aren’t seen or heard.

I’m not sure being a lesbian made her more likely to help. She was a problem solver her whole life and loved the challenge of finding answers. Would she not have helped if she’d been straight?