Cath asks to travel with Michael to California, but he refuses to consider it. Do you think he’s correct to forbid her to join him?

Cath asks to travel with Michael to California, but he refuses to consider it. Do you think he’s correct to forbid her to join him?

Having read The Rush before reading this book, I think Michael was probably right to want to keep her home. It was rough out there and not just the living conditions but the gangs and lawlessness. I think he wanted to protect her.

I think Michael thought he was doing the right thing–the trip and conditions were going to awful. But Cath had already proven that she could handle tough times and conditions. The decision should have been made jointly although that probably wasn’t the norm at that time. I think if he had known that he would lose Cath he would have taken her.

Having read about the conditions during the Gold Rush, I think he was right in his decision. He was protecting her.

He felt like he was doing the right thing. Keeping Cath safe seemed to be prioritized over her happiness.

Yes, it would have been a disaster and her being pregnant would have made it.more complicated. CA at that time was rough and ugly. Michael would have been stifled by her and felt guilty he couldn’t provide.