As far back as 1845, Patrick asks Cath to accompany him on his journeys. How do you think the story would have played out if she’d said yes to him before she met Michael? How about if she’d agreed after she was married?

As far back as 1845, Patrick asks Cath to accompany him on his journeys. How do you think the story would have played out if she’d said yes to him before she met Michael? How about if she’d agreed after she was married?

Good question. I think she would have been happier. I think the lifestyle he was looking for fit better with hers it’s just that she had a pie in the sky dream that she felt she could achieve.

1 Like

It would have been a very different story. She would have found some happiness and security. And her morals honestly got a bit old. Go with Patrick. Allow something good in.her life. Yes, she would have missed her family but the rest of her world would have been so much better.

I think that society’s standards at that time period, Catherine’s religious beliefs, her love of family relationships played a huge role in her life that would have prohibited her from accompany Patrick. I sensed that Catherine enjoyed and treasured their friendship but she did not love him.

I agree! She should have gone with Patrick all along. I was so mad at her when she refused the second time. I DO understand the morals were different, then … so it is really hard to put myself in her place.

Patrick was the happier and more stable choice. He would not have left his wife on her own to support herself while he went to California.

I really wanted Catherine to marry and accompany Patrick on his journeys. I think their lives together would have made for a very interesting tale.

Impossible to project. Catherine and Patrick share a deep emotional connection, but it is hard to determine how that might change under the pressures of every day life. I did find myself wishing she would leave with him, she was so strong is some ways but did not seem to be able to put herself first in any scenario.